Japanese Manhole Cover Art by David Robert

posted by  RamenRyan | 7 years, 10 months ago

It’s no secret that Japanese manhole covers are some of the most intricate and colorful in the world. So French-born designer and illustrator David Robert decided to create replicas; not from cast iron but on paper.

The artist, who works for creative director Morihiro Hirano, travels around Japan making tracings of some of the more beautiful manhole covers he finds. He considers them “souvenirs” of the different places he’s visited. Now, the series of manhole cover prints are going to be on display in an exhibition aptly titled SOUVENIR. The show runs from July 18 – August 22, 2015 at Kai in Tokyo.

read the original article

0 | #10858 by  Yubi | 8 years, 9 months ago

I have seen a book with photos of hundreds of these. Nice idea to copy them to clothes.

This reminded me of Gyotaku, the art of Fish-printing. Will post a link on that!

comment
0 | #10859 by  banzaitokyo | 8 years, 9 months ago

I had never realized that in Japan, manhole covers were beautifully designed. If only it were like that in my country, where you only see some number and the city name... it just goes on to show that Japan is amazingly different.

comment