Sweet Dreams for Bibliophiles: Tokyo Is Getting a Bookshop Hotel

posted by  RamenRyan | 7 years, 10 months ago

Tokyo is finally getting a bookshop where you can fall asleep in without being scolded. In September of 2015 book nerd dreams of falling asleep in bookshops will come true with the opening of BOOK AND BED TOKYO. Slated to open in the Ikebukuro neighborhood of Tokyo, the new hostel will combine lodging with bookshops to create the ultimate bibliophile dream.

Designed by Makoto Tanijiri and Ai Yoshida of Suppose Design Office, the new hotel will feature beds embedded into bookshelves. Book lovers will be able to read until they doze off and suddenly realize it’s morning. It’s unclear, however, whether there will be individual rooms. The renderings appear to have communal beds, which would be a deal-breaker for us. Apparently they are targeting foreign tourists and domestic travelers as a primary audience. Those who have a close affinity with books, obviously.

The hostel’s book selection will be curated by Shibuya Publishing & Booksellers, who are also hosting a replica of the space from July 13 – 25, 2015.

read the original article

0 | #11062 by  banzaitokyo | 8 years, 9 months ago

Wonderful!! Why doesn't Lisbon have something like this? I've actually already fallen asleep in a bookstore and the owners yelled at me... that was unpleasant haha :) I'd love to "crash" in the Book & Bed hotel :)

comment
0 | #11063 by  Yubi | 8 years, 9 months ago

Now that's like a dream! They should have more of these, not just in Japan.

comment