5 Things to Know About Japan's Handmade 'Washi' Paper

posted by  Yubi | 7 years, 10 months ago

If you have half a day to spare in your travel plans, try making Japanese handmade paper!

The UNESCO Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage on Wednesday added Japanese papers known as "washi" to its Intangible Cultural Heritage list. The process of making the handmade paper has been passed on for generations for over a thousand years in Japan. Here are 5 things to know about its craftsmanship.

read the original article

0 | #11079 by  banzaitokyo | 8 years, 9 months ago

You must be a very wealthy person to use washi for every day writing :) it is mainly used in design (for screens and such) but I agree this paper could add a certain touch to a letter you are writing to someone special.

comment
0 | #11080 by  banzaitokyo | 8 years, 9 months ago

being from art school background, I would love to hang out a little at a washi paper factory. There must be places in japan that are open for tourists and even organze workshops. that would be cool to do.

comment
0 | #11081 by  banzaitokyo | 8 years, 9 months ago

It certainly sounds nice from the description, and it's good to know it's being protected by the UNESCO Committee. The processed, machine-helmed paper we get on a daily basis feels distinctly cold and lifeless... I'd much prefer 'washi' paper to write on rather than the white paper that has been standardized to a depressing effect.

comment
0 | #11082 by  banzaitokyo | 8 years, 9 months ago

Washi definitely deserves it! It is a beautiful craft and the contemporary Japanese artists find very creative new applications to keep it alive.

comment
0 | #11083 by  Yubi | 8 years, 9 months ago

I have a friend who makes washi, and tried making a few myself at his factory.They were used for printing Stock certificates, since they last much longer than ordinary paper. I use them for drawing, and now there are some washi on which you can print color Ink-jet.

comment