Enjoy Tokyo down town in a peaceful neighbourhood – Higashi-Jujo Palazetto

posted by  banzaitokyo | 7 years, 10 months ago

Last time I introduced you to the nice apartments of Mr. Nakajima in Edogawa-ku.

Today I want to write about the place I live in – a peaceful neighborhood in Tokyo down town – Higashi-Jujo.

Many foreigners coming to Japan don’t know, where to live – besides that they just know, that they want to stay in the capital city Tokyo.

A big city like Tokyo with many trains running through it sounds very convenient. You might probably think, that every place you want to go to – Shinjuku, Shibuya or Harajuku is reachable in less than 10 minutes. But Tokyo is much bigger than that. Tokyo can surprise you, when you come here for the first time.

Just today I had to go to a place in West Tokyo for work, called Higashi-Koganei. I was still in the same city and it took me a bit more than an hour. That’s why you should pick your apartment carefully when you decide to live here.

Fortunately, I don’t always have to go that far for work.

Right now I am living in Kita-ku, Higashi-Jujo. The name of the ward indicates already the place of its location in Tokyo – in the north (Kita ? means north). The area was a collection of rural villages and towns until the 1880s, when it was connected by rail to central Tokyo (Oji Station opening in 1883).

I choose my apartment, Higashi-Jujo Palazetto, for three main reasons – I wanted to have a spacious place to live in, but it should be cheap. However, I still wanted to stay in Tokyo. At first I thought my expectations were too high. But with the help of Tokyo Roomfinder I was able to find a lovely place in Higashi-Jujo, Kita-ku. Talking about Tokyo, this place is really cheap. And I still only need 30 minutes to my work place in Shinjuku.

When I first moved in, the place was not furnished. I brought my futon, a little table and a small shelf.

That was my first equipment, but now I slowly start to make myself a more and more comfortable home.

The friendly owner, Mr. Hiramoto, helped me with getting a fridge and a washing machine in the beginning. He also informed the gas company for me and they came right the day when I moved in. Contacting electricity and water companies was easy, since now everything can be done 24 hours a day via the internet. Even in English! However, I am sure, Tokyo Roomfinder would have helped me, if I had struggled.

The kitchen next to the main room.

The clean and well maintained apartment has a 20 m² big room, a kitchen space with a gas stove, a sink and enough space to storage your dishes, pots and pans. Besides that, you will find a unit bathroom with a bathtub. The toilet can be found in a separated room. What I really like about the place is the much space I have – in Germany the apartment would be considered as small – but in Tokyo I feel like I am living in luxury. My place is on the first floor, when I open my windows, I have a very small yard for my laundry and for my flower pots (yes, I love gardening!).

The air-conditioning in my room will help me to survive the heat on hot summer days in Tokyo. The closet space is big enough for my over-sized wardrobe and the storage space over the fridge and over the closet is enough for me to squeeze in a second futon.

The closet space next to the window.

Recently three rooms are still vacant and you might want to check them out.

The neighborhood is lovely quiet and peaceful – Tokyo Downtown, Shitamachi is a nice insight of the “old Tokyo”. Coming from the station your way leads through a Shoutengai – a shopping street with all kinds of small shops and restaurants. Close to the apartment there is a cheap supermarket, a convenience store, a library, a coin laundry and even a small public bath is hidden between the single-family houses. If you want to enjoy a bath in a hot spring, you can also visit the Yanagiyu Onsen close to the station on your way home.

The furniture shop Nitori (or how many people call it – the Japanese Ikea :P) is just five minutes walk away from the apartment. A shrine next door invites you to relax and take a break from the busy life in Tokyo. You might have to share the bench with some local cats, but they are all nice and well-behaving, so no worries.

The Konbini next door.

You actually might feel like you left Tokyo, when you wander around the lovely neighborhood. However, within just 9 minutes walk you can reach the Higashi-Jujo Station, which is connected to the Keihin Tohoku Line. Akabane station is a 16 minute walk from Kamiya and the Namboku Line connects Oujikamiya station.

The apartments from the outside.

The rent depends on the floor you choose and if you want some initial furniture to be purchased.

You can rent the fridge and the washing machine for 5,000 Yen per month. Besides that, renting a Microwave for 1,000 Yen per month is possible, too.

The initial cost would include the first months rent, an insurance and a one month security deposit. Gas, water and electricity are paid individually, but paying the bill at the convenience store is very easy. It might be, that a guarantor company is required to use.

You can rent a private apartment at Higashi-Jujo Palazetto, if you have a at least a 6 months valid visa and a stable income in Tokyo.

I really enjoy living there and maybe you want to become my neighbors? Tokyo Roomfinder will be happy to help you, if you consider to live in Kita City.

The post Enjoy Tokyo down town in a peaceful neighbourhood – Higashi-Jujo Palazetto appeared first on OFJAPAN BLOG.

read the original article

0 | #11351 by  Yubi | 8 years, 9 months ago

This is the Northern-most part of Tokyo, kind of calm compared to the rest. I stayed around here for about two years. For those who don't mind a one-hour commute to Tokyo and like mountains, Western Tokyo (Hachi-Oji are) is better.

comment