Child care support seen helping to drive influx of residents to Tokyo www.japantimes.co.jp

posted by  banzaitokyo | 7 years, 2 months ago in Lifestyle

The number of Japanese moving into Tokyo and nearby prefectures was higher than those who left for the 21st straight year in 2016, with the availability of child care support proving a big draw in certain areas, government data showed.

According to data based on residence registrations, a combined 117,868 more people moved to Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama and Chiba prefectures than those who left last year.

0 | #12703 by  Yubi | 7 years, 2 months ago
The childcare support in Tokyo and surrounding areas has not been growing fast enough to meet the influx. Almost every childcare center is 100% full and applications are accepted only if both parents are working. The childcare support is better in Tokyo than some other cities like Nagoya, so this article gets it right when comparing greater Tokyo area with other big cities. But if childcare is the only factor, rural Japan has more opportunities.
comment
0 | #12745 by  BarbaraEbara | 7 years, 2 months ago
Last time I was in Japan, I kid you not, there were kids everywhere. And this is not because the parents couldn't afford daycare, they just didn't have an option! I remember speaking with a woman who lived in Canada fro half her life before moving back to Japan and she said that the system there with childcare is great... if you can manage to get your foot int he door of one.
comment