A guide to the Sapporo snow festival2017 blog.gaijinpot.com

posted by  banzaitokyo | 7 years, 2 months ago in Art & Culture

The Snow Festival, which is being held in Sapporo’s Oodori Park through February 12, 2017, features 116 different snow sculptures of all different sizes. One of the highlights is a recreation of Nara’s Kofukuji Temple whose restoration, which began in 2014, is set to be completed next year.

1 | #12751 by  Yubi | 7 years, 2 months ago
The problem with attending the Sapporo Snow Festival is that you have to plan well in advance. The flights and hotels become full, way before the festival. For those who can't make it, there is Tokamachi Snow Festival in South Eastern Niigata. Around four hours from Tokyo even if you travel by bus, this is much less crowded but getting better each year.
comment
0 | #12754 by  banzaitokyo | 7 years, 2 months ago
wow, I couldn't imagine it was huge event, but it being so popular makes me want to visit it evem more :D I have not been to Hokkaido and I would love to go there one day. As for Niigata's festival, it is really close to Toyama (where my in-laws live) so it is probably much easier for me to reach.
comment
0 | #12752 by  Yubi | 7 years, 2 months ago
NHK has posted a video of the festival. ( https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20170206_11/ )
comment