Koike allies secure majority in Tokyo election www3.nhk.or.jp

posted by  Tanuki | 6 years, 9 months ago in Lifestyle

In Sunday's Tokyo metropolitan assembly election, Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike's new regional party and candidates supporting her have secured a majority in the assembly. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's Liberal Democratic Party suffered its worst-ever result in the assembly.

Koike said she is very grateful her party is getting better-than-expected results thanks to the support of Tokyo residents. She added she is feeling the weight of the responsibility.

Koike said that during the campaign she called for reform of the assembly. She said she's happy her efforts resonated.

0 | #13101 by  BarbaraEbara | 6 years, 9 months ago
I am not surprised that Koike is doing so well either. She has been working her butt off and Tokyo is a direct witness to this. I think most people would rather see the work being done now rather than after their vote is in.
comment
0 | #13128 by  Yubi | 6 years, 9 months ago
As Koike correctly mentioned, Tokyo assembly had become a group of old guys who would not do anything to change the status-quo. So Koike easily stood out, and could carry the election with her young team. I hope the national politics can have a similar change.
comment