Google wins ‘right to be forgotten’ battle in Japan techcrunch.com

posted by  banzaitokyo | 7 years, 2 months ago in Science & Technology

Google has won a long-standing battle in Japan that drew parallels with Europe’s “right to be forgotten” ruling.

The Japanese Supreme Court today dismissed four cases against the U.S. company seeking the removal of allegedly defamatory comments in its Google Maps service, including one high-profile case involving a medical clinic. Back in April 2015, the Chiba District Court ruled that Google must delete the comments, but the search giant appealed that decision and has now prevailed.

0 | #12718 by  Yubi | 7 years, 2 months ago
I think comments are not a big deal; many people already know that the Internet is not a 100% reliable source, and comments are personal views. But I am more concerned about big companies interfering with people's privacy. Privacy laws are better here than in the US, but still Google has money to hire lawyers.
comment
0 | #12744 by  BarbaraEbara | 7 years, 2 months ago
I agree. A lot of people online will just say something to say it because they know they can get away with it. Most people aren't even how they are online in real life BUT companies, that is another story.
comment