Tokyo transport bureau starts phone interpretation services www.the-japan-news.com

posted by  banzaitokyo | 7 years, 2 months ago in Science & Technology

The Tokyo metropolitan government’s Bureau of Transportation started offering an over-the-phone interpretation service in January for foreign customers in five foreign languages at Toei Subway stations and select Nippori-Toneri Liner stations.

The service is aimed at making it easier for foreigners to communicate at stations by enabling them to talk directly with an operator to solve issues such as the train lines and transfers required to reach their destinations.

0 | #12708 by  RamenRyan | 7 years, 2 months ago
I like this. It cuts out any confusion. It seems like we should all be willing to learn even basics for another language if we want to travel somewhere. I mean I know the basics of 6 different countries. This is something that should be taught in school really. It is nice that foreigners now have this option though.
comment
0 | #12715 by  Yubi | 7 years, 2 months ago
It is getting easier for foreigners to travel here, and that is a good thing. Transport is quite good here, but one used to need to know Japanese or get help from others to make full use of it.
comment
0 | #12738 by  BarbaraEbara | 7 years, 2 months ago
I have been going back and forth from the US to Japan for about 12 years now and I know for a fact that it is easier now more so than every. I am not fluent by any means but I do know some and this is helping.
comment