82-year-old DJ puts unique spin on Tokyo’s club scene www.japantimes.co.jp

posted by  Tanuki | 6 years, 11 months ago in Art & Culture

Sumiko Iwamuro knows a thing or two about juggling work.

She spends her days behind the counter at a family-run specialty gyoza restaurant and one or two nights a month moonlighting under her stage name DJ Sumirock. It is an impressive feat for someone 82 years old, although she insists otherwise.

At 2 a.m. when other octogenarians are fast asleep, Iwamuro — donning her trademark sunglasses and bright red lipstick — is spinning beats to the delight of the crowd at a dance club in Kabukicho, the famous red-light area in Tokyo’s Shinjuku district.

0 | #13017 by  Tanuki | 6 years, 11 months ago
I like the attitude of the Japanese elderly: "now that you are old, try different things without worrying too much"
comment
0 | #13018 by  Yubi | 6 years, 11 months ago
I guess she is DJ'ing songs by Hibari Misora, Kyu Sakamoto etc. Just kidding, those are oldies from the 50's and 60's.
comment
1 | #13019 by  banzaitokyo | 6 years, 11 months ago
She seems to be an extrodinary character indeed! About two months ago I already linked to another article about her: https://akihabara.tokyo/thread/9377/82-year-old-dj-thrills-crowds-on-tokyos-club-scene/
comment
0 | #13050 by  BarbaraEbara | 6 years, 11 months ago
HA! I love this! I wish more elderly people started doing things like this. I am sick of the stigma of being old and moving slow, having no life, ect. This woman is proving all of them wrong and I love it! You go, Sumiko Iwamuro!!
comment