“Hong Kong” – a charming family restaurant in Tokyo

posted by  banzaitokyo | 7 years, 10 months ago

People who know me, also know, that I love good food.

And Japan is the place to be for interesting restaurants and high quality gourmet dishes.

If you are into exciting Izakayas or if you search for an adventure while eating, don’t forget to check out our weblog about unusual restaurants in Tokyo!

The restaurant I went to today was not less interesting and the delicious food just blew me away. I was really surprised to find high-quality food for such a low price in Tokyo and I want to share my experience with you.

Hidden in the outside of Center-Tokyo, but not far away from Shinjuku and Nakano you can find cheap and heavenly-like food.

Just a 5-minute walk from Ochiai-Minami-Nagasaki station you can find the restaurant “Hong Kong” – irrespective of the name this place not only serves Chinese food. The owner said, when he decided to open a restaurant, he bought an already existing shop called “Hong Kong”without changing the name.

I am not a big fan of oily food, Chinese dishes or deep fried snacks, but once in a while I enjoy some Tempura in Japan.

However, the dishes served at “Hong Kong” were without doubt the best fry-pan cooked dishes I had so far.

When we arrived it was around lunch time and the restaurant was crowded. After living for a while in Japan I know that crowded shops are the best proof for good food. We had to wait around 5 or 6 minutes, until we finally were able to be seated. The owner, a 73-year old ex-instructor of Pro-Wrestling and Baseball gave us a warm welcome when we entered the shop and immediately took our order.

As a Vegetarian I avoid eating meat, but I love fish and seafood. The Shrimp-Fried-Rice dish I ordered came quickly after sitting down at a big table. While waiting for the food, we had some time to take a look at the photo collection lined up around us on the walls.

The owner, experienced with all kinds of sports, used to work at a restaurant connected with a bowling alley and a wrestling arena.

Photos framed and wrapped in plastic film told about those days and newer photos, close to the entrance showed a bunch of famous people who visited the restaurant before. Seeing all those famous Japanese people was quite impressing.

All of us were hungry and we were relieved, when the food was finally served. And it definitely was a feast! I think the photos will convince you..

Served with a delicious Miso-soup, we had the fried rice with shrimps, a lunch special – spaghetti with tomato sauce, rice, steak and a crunchy and a creamy shrimp croquette. The whole meal was filling and just delicious. It even convinced me – someone who usually prefers raw fish and fresh vegetables.

Asking the owner, why he decided to open a restaurant, he told me, that after war there was not much enough food to eat. He wanted to offer cheap and delicious food, affordable for everyone who enjoyed eating as much as he did. Besides – all the dishes served in the restaurant are self-made recipes by him and he never tastes his own food. Some of the dishes were invented by him many years ago and the recipes haven’t changed yet. But I think, there is no need for it anyway – the shrimp croquette was just delicious.

The master at work

I really enjoyed my short lunch break at this place and I was able to not only talk to the owner, but his whole family, who is supporting him there and helping in the kitchen. The restaurant has a really family-friendly atmosphere and the food was just amazing. I will definitely go there again and I recommend you to pop by, when you are close to Nakano.

Avoid the very busy lunch time hours or call before you go there, that you don’t have to wait too long to get seated.

Enjoy your lunch at Hong Kong – I’m sure you won’t regret it!

Contact information:

Tel: 03-3953-8144

Address: T?ky?, Shinjuku, Nishiochiai 1 – 29 – 3

6 Min. from Toei Oedo Line Ochiai Minami Nagasaki Station

13 Min. from Seibu Shinjuku Line Araiyakushimae Station

Open: Monday to Friday

11:30 to 14:00

17:00 to 20:00

(Saturday, Sunday and public holidays closed)

Prices are cheap and range to 999 Yen.

The post “Hong Kong” – a charming family restaurant in Tokyo appeared first on OFJAPAN BLOG.

read the original article