Osaka teen first alleged ransomware maker arrested in Japan www.japantimes.co.jp

posted by  Yubi | 6 years, 10 months ago in Science & Technology

YOKOHAMA – A 14-year-old in Osaka Prefecture has become the first person in Japan arrested for allegedly creating ransomware, the police said Monday.

The third-year junior high school student, who was arrested the same day, is suspected of combining free encryption programs to create ransomware, which makes computer files inaccessible unless a ransom is paid, the sources said.

0 | #13044 by  BarbaraEbara | 6 years, 10 months ago
I am not sure if I should be shocked or not that a 14 year old was behind this. Well, one of the people behind it anyways. I am glad they are catching people. Either way, that kid must be pretty smart! Scary smart, too!
comment
0 | #13068 by  RamenRyan | 6 years, 10 months ago
You shouldn't be shocked. Japan's children are educated a lot more and at a much more advanced level compared to say the UK and the US. This is why they excel in all the top fields in the world. They are not only taught about the fundamentals but taught respect. This child is an example of one of few who use their brains for bad and not good.
comment