Surveillance cameras introduced on JR Yamanote Line trains in Tokyo www.japantrends.com

posted by  banzaitokyo | 6 years, 10 months ago in Auto & Transportation

Although Japan has a prominent number of police substations around communities, locals often take pride in how their cities generally have less surveillance and security cameras than other major developed nations. While this is not to suggest that Japan values civil liberties more strongly than North America or Europe, it is a sign that privacy is prized and the nation has largely not suffered from the threat of terrorist attacks.

0 | #13038 by  BarbaraEbara | 6 years, 10 months ago
Having cameras like this is important for safety. I understand the right to privacy but on public transportation, cameras should always be present. It isn't about spying on people it is about protecting them and I never understood why America would be so fast to dismiss that.
comment
0 | #13073 by  RamenRyan | 6 years, 10 months ago
Absolutely! People need to get on bored with camera watching them for safety. They are not spying to find information but to keep an eye out for criminals where every day eyes may not see or even look away. I have no issue with cameras watching over public transport.
comment