Fire Ants! www3.nhk.or.jp

posted by  Yubi | 6 years, 10 months ago

Officials in the western Japanese port city of Kobe say about 100 more fire ants have been found in a container storage space.

The highly poisonous ants are originally from South America. Their sting can cause anaphylactic shock, which may result in death.

Hundreds of them were found on May 26th in a container that was unloaded at Kobe Port and transported to Amagasaki, east of Kobe. It was the first time the ants were found in Japan.

The container came from Guangdong Province in China.

0 | #13063 by  Yubi | 6 years, 10 months ago
This being late spring, it is easy for these insects to survive longer; not sure about breeding, though. Do be careful when letting your kids play outside.
comment
0 | #13064 by  banzaitokyo | 6 years, 10 months ago
I really hope they will not be able to migrate and breed in Japane. I think there are aleady enough of scary creatures in Japan like giant cockroaches (harmless but disgusting) and giant hornets (which are quite dangerous).
comment
0 | #13086 by  RamenRyan | 6 years, 10 months ago
I had been bitten by one single fire ant in my life and it is a pint you do not forget! I hate to say it but I think people are purposely spreading these things. The best way to avoid them is to stay protected when you are in environments where they thrive.
comment