A look into Japan's springtime metropolisjapan.com

posted by  banzaitokyo | 7 years, 1 month ago in Lifestyle

Halfway between winter and spring equinox, the plum flowers will start to blossom across Japan. The 88th day of spring marks the first day of tea leaf picking for a new season, and the leaves of this harvest fetch high prices. 210 and 220 days from the beginning of spring are pegged as days that typhoons will most likely come, causing much dismay to farmers. While it may sound like a parody, since ancient times, Japan has taken seasonal cues from the natural calendar. This is particularly evident in cuisine, meaning that if you’re in Japan during the spring months, you can look forward to a special selection of things to eat and drink.

0 | #12806 by  RamenRyan | 7 years, 1 month ago
I love that Japan is one of few cultures these days that still celebrate the seasons. I have seen pictures of the celebrations and they are stunning and colorful. The food is something I hope to experience soon. I would have loved to be in Japan for their spring celebrations.
comment
0 | #12830 by  Tanuki | 7 years, 1 month ago
The four seasons, with all the different food and flowers, is a wonderful thing to have! Cherry blossoms are great to see even if you have seen them for a long time, because they are there for only about a week. I am looking forward to a cherry blossom picnic with the family this time.
comment