Your perfect Japanese holiday – Nakajima Tatemono in Tokyo

posted by  banzaitokyo | 7 years, 10 months ago

Foreigners coming to Japan think they can only find Japanese style rooms with Onsen and local, delicious Sushi shops at “really traditional places” like Kyoto. Tokyo, with it’s flashy lights and noisy districts does not really have the image of Maikos wandering around in colorful Kimonos. But Tokyo actually can offer you this kind of enjoyment, if you just go to the right places. You might not find Maikos there, but relaxation is something I can guarantee you!

At the end of last week, I was able to meet Mr. Masakatsu Nakajima, a real estate owner, who showed me around his beautifully furnished holiday apartments, his nearby Sento (public bath) and his stunning Japanese garden.

It was a grey and humid day, typical for the rainy season, when I walked through the narrow streets of Edogawa City. I was really surprised when I arrived at the silent and cosy neighbourhood. Mr. Nakajima gave me a warm welcome at his office and before we started to talk, he showed me around at his premises. “You need to see the rooms and the bath. Then you will understand everything much better.”

And I was really impressed. I didn’t expect so much Wabisabi in the centre of a busy city like Tokyo and I really liked the facilities Mr. Nakajima showed to me.

A small and cosy public bath next to Mr. Nakajimas office is the pride of the family.

Over 400 years the Nakajima family is living in Edogawa-ku, a ward in Tokyo, which takes its name from the Edo river which runs along the eastern border of the ward.

The Sento, originally owned and operated by the family can be used freely by all the guests staying at Mr. Nakajimas premises. He owns several apartments behind his office surrounded by Japanese state houses and apartment buildings.

What is so special about Mr. Nakajimas holiday apartments, that you should consider to stay there instead of a hotel in centre Tokyo?

Mr. Nakajima changed all his apartments to typical Japanese style premises. Besides a typical Japanese room with Tatami floor and paper walls you will find beautiful and delicate decorations, from paper fans to silk curtains. He even offers a special Kimono-room, decorated with an original wedding kimono.

Spacious and clean apartments await you!

All his apartments are furnished and equipped with kitchen ware, household goods, pots and pans. Shampoo and soap can be found in the bathroom. His unique apartments represent the “real Japan” – besides Tatami mats, you can find Kimonos arranged on the walls, a tea service for your tea ceremony and Japanese charms and talismans, protecting you and the ones travelling with you.

This could be your bed room!
Towels, shampoo, soap for a comfortable stay.

The public bath, Sento, next door features an outside Onsen and an inside bath. Both separated for women and men are again equipped with soap, shampoo, towels and other amenities. The charming atmosphere of the old-fashioned public bath was really relaxing and I enjoyed just to walk around and take a look at the premises.

Mr. Nakajima also took me to his Japanese style garden – a large area equipped with a small shrine, a pond and a beautiful Japanese water fountain. If you ask Mr. Nakajima, he will arrange for you a tea ceremony in his house.

You can enjoy the view from his Japanese style room and look into the garden, while enjoying bitter Matcha Green tea and delicious Japanese sweets.

The silence and the green nature hidden in the outskirts of central Tokyo were really relaxing and surprised me.

The little shrine in the garden.
Relax while watching the Japanese water fountain.

While sipping an ice coffee and escaping the heat in Mr. Nakajimas office, we talked about his idea for setting up Japanese style apartments. The public bath next door is family property since more than 400 years. Besides that his family also owned some of the nearby apartments and some of the rooms at the building were vacant.

To have foreigners experience the Japanese culture and to get them closer to a Japanese lifestyle, Mr. Nakajima decided to change the vacant premises into Japanese style apartments. He is also the one, responsible for the interior design and he is in charge of cleaning. Right now one of the rooms was occupied by a European traveller, but I had the chance to inspect the other premises.

“I want European and American people to experience real Japanese culture and I want to share the beauty of this neighbourhood with them.”, Mr. Nakajima says.

Japanese charms will protect you during your stay.

He knows all the good restaurants nearby and for whatever you grave, when you arrive – Sushi, Soba, Tempura – he can lead you to delicious and cheap places. “I want to help the guests to have a good time. However, they also have their private space and they should feel free to do, whatever they want.”

Mr. Nakajima smiles friendly and proceeds to show me different pictures of former guests from all over the world. “Sometimes guests buy a bottle of wine at the supermarket next door. Then we usually sit together and chat until late night.”

The outside bath at Mr. Nakajimas public bath.

Mr. Nakajima says he never had complaints. Although communication seems to be a challenge sometimes. “My English is poor.”, this is something he admits, while he shows information guidebooks to me, which are provided in every room for his guests. They are in English and usually guests staying at his place, get all the necessary information from the book provided. “My apartments are non-smoking, but fully equipped with everything the guests need. This is not a hotel – therefore people can also cook their own meals, relax at their spacious rooms or visit places nearby.”

Disneyland is around the corner and with the Shinjuku Line, going directly to Shinjuku station, one of the biggest central transfer spots in Tokyo can be reached within 30 minutes. From his apartments you walk less than 5 minutes to the closest station, Funabori. Convenient, but surrounded by a silent and peaceful neighbourhood those apartments are really unique.

The public bath next door invites you to relax.

“I want more people to come.”, Mr. Nakajima emphasizes in the end.

“I think right now everyone is afraid of the rain season. Many travellers might think Tokyo is wet and miserable everyday.”

“Please write in your article, that is is not like that. I’m awaiting them at any season!”, Mr. Nakajima smiles, as I prepare to leave.

“If you would have more time, you could take a bath next door. We have towels, soap – you are allowed to use it!”

“Not right now, but I will definitely come back!” This is something I promised him and I am sure, I will visit the lovely neighbourhood in Edogawa-ku again.

Mr. Nakajimas Apartments can be booked via Facebook.

He also arranges BBQs in summer and camping events on weekends. Add him on Facebook!

Masakatsu Nakajima

134-0091

Tokyo, Edogawa, Funabori 2-11-16

K1 Nakajima 107

Tel: 03-5679-6807

Fax: 03-3877-1418

The post Your perfect Japanese holiday – Nakajima Tatemono in Tokyo appeared first on OFJAPAN BLOG.

read the original article

0 | #10738 by  Yubi | 8 years, 9 months ago

Home-stays are a bit difficult to get in Tokyo, since the houses are small and people are busy. But one should go to rural Japan and and try a home-stay there. It's a lot of fun, and there are locals who enjoy helping you out!

comment