Japanese distillery will send its whisky to age in space

posted by  banzaitokyo | 7 years, 11 months ago

Suntory, Japan's distillery whose whisky was crowned as world's best in 2014, is sending its beverages into space. In a surprisingly down-to-earth press release, the company focused on its scientific efforts, calling this endeavor an "experiment on the development of mellowness in alcoholic beverage through the use of a microgravity environment."

read the original article

0 | #10867 by  Yubi | 8 years, 9 months ago

Nissin's founder insisted on making a cup-noodle that can be eaten in space, and actually made one that was used by Japanese astronauts. This one doesn't have a need, but has the "what if..." factor.

comment
0 | #10868 by  banzaitokyo | 8 years, 9 months ago

It will surely be an interesting experience... as well as promotion for Suntory, haha :)

comment
0 | #10869 by  banzaitokyo | 8 years, 8 months ago

Damn! Give me too!

comment
0 | #10870 by  banzaitokyo | 8 years, 9 months ago

pure science? modern culinary experiment ? sponsor-ad ?

Anyway, lucky the one who will taste it back to earth. Also, it' won't be surprising if it "disappear" once brought to the station, such thing happens all the time ... that is to say, alcohol is officially prohibited above there, but, hell, no one can prevent lonely astronauts to help their self.

comment
0 | #10871 by  banzaitokyo | 8 years, 9 months ago

I'm inclined to say it's more on the promotional side...

comment
0 | #10872 by  banzaitokyo | 8 years, 9 months ago

This is so Japan! The Japanese are the kings of everything that is weird and... of marketing. But despite all the weirdness you can't help wondering what the taste of that whisky would be. So I guess no matter how the taste changes the marketing goal is definitely achieved!

comment