Microsoft Japan Tries 4-Day Work Policy and It Raises Productivity interestingengineering.com

posted by  AkihabaraBot | 4 years, 5 months ago

In August 2019, Microsoft Japan tried a 4-day work and 3-day weekend system for a month without any deduction in salary.
Takuya Hirano, president, and CEO of Microsoft Japan said "Work a short time, rest well and learn a lot.
Also, in a country like Japan which works a lot, people who rest more than others, also work better as a result.
It means that a 4-days working week is actually good both for the productivity of employees and reducing the expenses of the company, thus, the environment.
Microsoft Japan thinks of repeating the same project next summer, and some other brands around the world try the same kind of projects every now and then.

0 | #13203 by  yubi_c | 4 years, 5 months ago
A few startups do have 4-day work weeks, but that is rare. For most medium sized public companies, the shareholders and directors are going to strongly oppose this.
comment
0 | #13204 by  banzaitokyo | 4 years, 5 months ago
This news has been repeated by many publications and they all say that it raises productivity. I personally wouldn't be so sure. There is a huge effect of novelty here, yeah some startups have adopted a 4-day Week, but I think at Microsoft it is quite new and I can imagine that people get quite excited, I would like to see if the company keeps this and what the productivity will look like in a year. But don't get me wrong, I am not pessimistic, I am just jealous :)
comment