Japan’s underground Chicano culture www.dazeddigital.com

posted by  banzaitokyo | 7 years, 2 months ago in Art & Culture

Japan has always been famous for its fashion subcultures. Walk about Tokyo on the weekend and you'll see the usual mash-up of lolita, rockabilly and cosplay enthusiasts. But look that little bit harder and you'll also see the chino slacks, white vests and tattoos belonging to Japanese 'Cholos' – those who have dedicated their life to Chicano subculture. Now often negatively associated with L.A. street gangs, Chicano culture actually has its roots in the Mexican-American empowerment movement which spanned the 1940s through 1970s. So how did it end up in Japan?

0 | #12652 by  BarbaraEbara | 7 years, 2 months ago
I had no idea this dealt with Mexicans in America! I guess you learn something new everyday. It actually reminds me a lot, style wise, of the late 90's and early 200's. I do wonder how they have become so heavily associated with the bad street gangs in California.
comment
0 | #12699 by  RamenRyan | 7 years, 2 months ago
I actually love this culture! I know a lot of people associate them with crime and drugs but that is not true. It is more about the music, the slang, and the art. It isn't hell bent on crime and drugs.
comment