Teaching in Japan: An Ode to School Lunch blog.gaijinpot.com

posted by  banzaitokyo | 7 years, 2 months ago in Lifestyle

When the bell rings after 4th period, it’s time for lunch.

I need to bring my brimming tray from the staffroom to the class I’m eating with today. A whirlwind of activity threatens my careful ascent up the stairs: kids chase each other to the sinks to wash their hands, while others wheel carts laden with food to their classrooms. They’ve listened obediently to their teachers all morning, but lunchtime is their domain. The soup splashes precariously in its bowl as I maneuver around them all.

0 | #12801 by  Yubi | 7 years, 2 months ago
I have had the chance of taking a few meals with the kids, while attending some activities. It's nice to see how the kids help to serve the food and also clean up. Those who don't eat much vegetables would pass them to others while some other trade the juice or milk. Quite fun!
comment
0 | #12814 by  RamenRyan | 7 years, 2 months ago
I actually enjoyed reading that. It is funny because many of those kids likely don't enjoy what they are offered but from a nutritional standpoint, the meals are good for them. I have never had the experience of seeing this in person nor even tasting the food but I know compared to other areas of the world, the quality is a lot nicer.
comment