The Eternal Soul of Yayoi Kusama www.tokyoartbeat.com

posted by  banzaitokyo | 6 years, 11 months ago in Art & Culture

Walking into the enormous cavern of Yayoi Kusama at her National Art Center, Tokyo retrospective “My Eternal Soul,” you are greeted with a sensory overload. Her latest works are stacked floor to ceiling with identical-sized panels that engulf you in their bright radiance coupled with dark iconography. The sheer volume of work is enough to overwhelm you as you’re drawn into Kusama’s introspective mind and obsessive symbology. She started her latest series ‘My Eternal Soul’ (featured in the front room) in 2009 and the amount of exploration is truly remarkable for an artist at this late stage in a career that launched with commercial success in 1950s New York.

0 | #13037 by  BarbaraEbara | 6 years, 11 months ago
I love her art and how different it is. It is so poetic and has so much honestly about the youth, the government, the way the world is these days. It is one thing I plan on going to see on my next trip to Tokyo. I hope her work is still there on display. The use of the eyes is what really captivates me.
comment
0 | #13065 by  RamenRyan | 6 years, 10 months ago
Be sure to Barbara. I know you likely read/hear this all the time, but this is an example of art that pictures don't do justice for. Seeing it in person makes you really grasp the emotions behind each piece. And yes, the eyes are a very focal point for almost all of her creations.
comment